Monday, August 25, 2008

Thor's Breakfast



As many of you know, I'm big on food. You also might know that Scandinavian cuisine, including Copenhagen here, is not the most exciting... well I guess there are forty kinds of pickled herring, but really, I'm not kidding myself--I'm not in Italy, France, or Seattle even (which actually has great restaurants). On top of that, eating out here is really expensive. There are gems to be found of course, and we (Amy and I) found one for weekend brunch called Meyers. Thanks for treating me Ames! (and at the other places too!) Weekend brunch is a really big deal here--weekends in general are a really big deal. People know how to take it easy and enjoy life. Retail closes early on Saturday and on Sunday many places including grocery stores are not even open! So to get on to the food...

Brunch in Copenhagen I've found is similar at different cafes in the sense that one orders a brunch plate, and this plate has many different things on it. And when I say many different things, I don't just mean three or four, like bacon, eggs, toast and potatoes... no... I mean, a down right Cornucopia!! A norse god feast!

Now take a look at the picture above and keep in mind that we had two other plates that came with this one. Here is a list of all the items from one order of brunch:
  • Mixed green salad with almonds
  • Two big hunks of cheese, french blue + spanish "prima donna"
  • Two grilled sausages with home-made tomato ketchup sauce
  • Roasted potatoes with spinach and herbs
  • Two slices of dry cured ham
  • Two full slices of fruit-cantelope and melon
  • Really good yogurt w/granola + strawberry on top
  • Ramekin of baked eggs with cheese and leeks
  • One croissant
  • Two slices of bread with butter and jam
  • One full size glass of apple juice
  • Extra: One Cappuccino!
Wow. That's eleven different things, plus a coffee. Food coma! Delicious.
Price: 135 danish kroner... that is about $26.00, plus the coffee. Keep in mind that an average restaurant sells a burger plate with fries or salad for 100 dkk or $20.00 Tax and tip are included in the prices.

No comments: