Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek





The Glyptotek is a really beautiful museum. The entrance leads to an expansive space containing a winter garden, which I imagine is a comforting place during the dark and cold scandinavian winter. The rooms containing stone sculpture are especially striking because of the large amount of natural light from above. I visited this museum last summer but didn't really have time to soak it in. Now I'm thinking I'll be a regular visitor on free Sundays to just hang out... It's the kind of place I could just sit and read a book and enjoy the atmosphere... and there's something about all the statues that seems like having "company."

The bottom photo is a shot of a gallery ceiling that curves down to form three walls without creating any angles. The light comes in from a single large window on the opposite wall. There are several galleries like this, each with a different relief pattern. Very nice.

No comments: